Can pregnant and lactating women use acyclovir?
- Acyclovir is not contraindicated during pregnancy and lactation, the use is recommended only if the expected benefit outweighs the potential harm to the mother and the growing fetus.
- This drug has a pronounced purposeful action. In other words, it acts only on cells in which the present DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid – a large molecule that encodes a gene) of the virus. Healthy cells are not damaged completely acyclovir. Thus, the antiviral agent does not cause malformations or gaps in the mental and physical development in newborns. This fact was confirmed by the study of the teratogenic (causing malformations) the effect of acyclovir in rats treated with high doses of the drug for a long time. The study found that even after the exorbitant doses offspring born without physical defects.
- In public, similar experiments were not carried out because they are inhumane. However, studies based on observation, show that the percentage of children born with congenital malformations in women who took acyclovir during the first trimester of pregnancy, does not differ from those who did not take the drug. In view of the foregoing, it can be concluded that the drug is safe for pregnant women, but there are some refinement.
- The first specification is the fact that in the above study included an insufficient number of women, which casts doubt on the correctness of the initial findings. Secondly, inter alia, acyclovir has several side effects that are evident not only in pregnant women, but also in ordinary cases. Thus, it can cause disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, nervous system, the genitourinary system, and so on. That can significantly affect the course of pregnancy.
- However, it is necessary to resort to the use of this drug, it is desirable to use only the local forms, i.e. creams and ointments. They do not produce high concentrations of active substances in the blood are therefore less dangerous from the point of view of side effects. Use of tablets and especially solutions for intravenous drip infusion must be avoided.
However, in exceptional cases, when there are vital indications for the use of acyclovir, preference is given to systemic forms of the drug, but under the strict supervision of medical personnel.
Is it possible to smear acyclovir inside the mouth?
- Acyclovir can not smear in the mouth, as it can cause a local inflammatory reaction mucosa or more severe complications.
- Each form of the drug is intended only for well-defined routes of administration. In other words, the tablet given by mouth, swallowed, and should only begin to act in the stomach. Powder for solution for intravenous drip can be administered only parenterally because ingestion are, at best, will not have any effect. Similarly, eye ointment and creams for topical skin application should be used for any other purpose.
- Such restrictions are determined by the properties of the active substance. In particular, acyclovir is sufficiently strong irritant for the mucous membrane of the oral cavity and in most cases causes local inflammation at the site of contact. Moreover, in addition to the active substance in a cream or ointment contains a plurality of ballast substances, which are not intended to be swallowed. They are likely to cause such violations on the part of the gastrointestinal tract such as nausea, vomiting, pain in the epigastric region, diarrhea and others.
- Much can be pitiable outcome of the use of acyclovir ointment or cream in the mouth of the patient, who does not know that is allergic to the substance. Such cases are, unfortunately, not uncommon. The speed and severity of the deployment of an allergic reaction often depends on the way the allergen enter the body. Thus, skin contact with the allergen often cause urticaria or allergic dermatitis. Tablets and means for intravenous administration is more likely to cause a shock in a patient with an allergy to substance administered. If the rash goes away after use several tablets suprastin, the anaphylactic shock requires urgent measures to save the patient’s life that can be provided only by medical personnel at the disposal of the necessary medicines.
Given that the rate of absorption of substances from the mouth equivalent to intramuscular injection, enough with good reason to be wary of severe allergic complications in patients with increased allergic background. Such complications include angioedema (angioedema) and anaphylactic shock. First manifested by progressive swelling of the soft tissues with the spread on the neck and upper chest. The greatest danger is the transition to the glottis edema, leading to its closure. A second complication is anaphylaxis, which is manifested by a sharp drop in blood pressure and loss of consciousness.
Can I combine acyclovir alcohol?
- Use of alcoholic beverages during treatment with acyclovir is strongly condemned by doctors and drug manufacturers. However, it should make the amendment that it is only the use of this drug systemically, ie in the form of pills and droppers. Skin creams and ointments, and ophthalmic ointments create a high concentration of active substance in the blood, so they do not extend the prohibition.
- The reason of incompatibility lies in the fact that both the acyclovir and neutralized ethyl alcohol in the liver using a single enzyme system. As a result, each of the compounds slow neutralization competitor, resulting in its accumulation in the body.
Slow removal of ethanol leads to the fact that the patient’s resistance to alcoholic beverages is reduced appreciably. In other words, in the use of even a small dose of alcohol people get drunk quickly and slowly sobering. The consequence is an increase in the toxic effects of alcohol and its metabolites (the more toxic than the ethyl alcohol) on the central nervous system and internal organs. In addition to all the above, the next morning, the patient will experience the strongest hangover.
- Slow removal of acyclovir from the body causes it to accumulate and, ultimately, to an overdose with all its side effects. The most severe of these is the acute renal failure requiring administration to a patient extracorporeal removal of creatinine, urea and other products of protein breakdown. In the absence of these funds (simple or peritoneal dialysis) patients, the risk to enter the uremic coma. Even with assistance at this stage there is a high likelihood of serious brain damage. In the absence of assistance in further patient dies in less than one week.
Which analogues has acyclovir?
- To date, the vast majority of acyclovir analogues are the drugs of equally high quality. However, in rare cases, it can be purchased, frankly, a fake, although recently such cases is decreasing.
- Drugs are divided into 2 groups – originals and generics. Original drugs are those that have been released for the first time one of the pharmaceutical companies spend on its development of some resources. These companies make out the patent for the invention, according to which the rest of the competing firms do not have the right to produce the same drug in an average of 5 – 10 years. At the end of this time, the company and inventor must disclose the formula of the drug and the methods of its production to other companies could release it to the market at a lower tselee that would make the drug more accessible to the masses. This copy is called generic drug.
- However, in practice it occurs differently. The company announces the inventor of the formula and highlights the process of obtaining the drug, keeping secret many secrets, in order to maintain leadership in the market for some time. The competing companies even require an average of 5 to 10 years to bring the quality of its product to the level of the original.
- The result is the following picture. The first 5 – 10 years of the original product is unique in its kind. In the next 5 – 10 years there his numerous analogues, which are in fact inferior to it in quality. Total of 10 to 20 years since the invention are superior to the original drug as a generic. Further, the analogs are equalized with the original, which is certainly beneficial for patients receiving high-quality product at a lower price.
- Acyclovir was invented over 25 years ago. Based on the foregoing, it is easy to conclude that all self-respecting pharmaceutical companies have at least 5 years of producing the drug is not inferior in quality to the original. Thus, we can conclude that all are equally good generic acyclovir for treatment.
- Nevertheless, it remains, albeit small, but the chance that any unscrupulous company produces fake product. In order to reduce the likelihood of purchase, it is advisable to buy drugs in major pharmacies. These pharmacies often work with reliable suppliers, ensuring a quality product.
Will acyclovir help with herpes?
- Acyclovir is very likely to help with the herpes simplex virus. However, there are acyclovir-resistant strains that require treatment with other drugs.
The mechanism of action of acyclovir results in suppression of activity and destruction of the herpes simplex virus, justifying thus its effectiveness.
- According to clinical guidelines acyclovir and similar drugs are administered, especially for the treatment of herpes virus infections, regardless of the severity of the viral. The most successful therapeutic results are noted during an early appointment of the drug.
The therapeutic effects of the preparation are:
- a significant reduction in the duration of the acute period of the disease (the period of the appearance of new lesions);
- early formation of crusts on the surface of the lesions;
- suppression of herpes sores spread;
- reducing the intensity of pain and syndrome of intoxication;
- reducing the frequency of relapses;
- reduction of frequency and severity, and other complications.
- The effectiveness of the treatment of herpes virus in the acute stage of the disease increases with simultaneous use of two forms of the drug medication – oral (pill) and local (ointments and creams). This ensures suppression of viral activity in the blood of a patient, or directly into the lesion. This combination is permissible for mild and moderate infection.
- For treatment of severe forms of common herpes while damage to eyes, skin, mucous membranes and internal organs of acyclovir is administered as an intravenous drip infusion. Parallel to this, apply local forms.
- Acyclovir has a positive effect antiherpetic regardless of the presence and degree of immunosuppression. For this reason, it is successfully used for the prevention of herpes infections in patients with severe immune deficiency of various etiology.
- Treatment of herpes simplex virus types 1 and 2 by using acyclovir is carried out differently depending on the severity of the disease. Accordingly, using various forms of medication preparation.